Although its potential for water treatment has been recognized since ancient times, anthracite coal was not used for this purpose until the beginning of the 20th century. Crushed Anthracite makes an excellent medium density filtration media. Clack Anthracite is mined from the finest Pennsylvania coal. It is specifically selected for water treatment, and during its production goes through several sizing inspections. Representative samples are randomly chosen for a complete laboratory quality control analysis for effective size, uniformity coefficient, specific gravity, acid solubility and hardness. Because of its angular shape, some of the sediment penetrates deeper into the bed. When compared to equivalent filter sands, this means longer filter runs and less head loss. Backwash rates are also reduced. Because of its unique density, Clack Anthracite can be used in multi-media filters. At 50 lbs/ft³, it will hydraulically classify and remain above heavier media such as Filter Sand or Manganese Greensand, providing a prefiltration layer.
When combined with filtering sands, anthracite is an effective filter media for water clarity in potable or industrial applications. It is among the most widely used filters. It works well in combination with sand or green manganese sand in mixed filters. It allows suspended pollutants to be kept in the depth of the filtering bed due to the unique form of its particles. This filtering media leads to greater flow, a decrease in pressure loss, and a faster and more efficient backwash than a sand filter.
Anthracite filtration media are hand-picked from underground mines that have the maximum carbon content.
|Part No.||Description||Cu. Ft./Bag||Wt./Cu. Ft.*||Bags/Pallet||Weight/Pallet||Pallet Dimensions|
|A8029||Anthracite #1 (0.6-0.8 mm)||1||50 lbs.||50||2550 lbs.||40" x 48" x 56"|
|A8030||Anthracite #1½ (0.85-0.95 mm)||1||50 lbs.||50||2550 lbs.||40" x 48" x 56"|
|A8031||Anthracite #2 (1.7-2.0 mm)||1||50 lbs.||50||2550 lbs.||40" x 48" x 56"|
- Color: Black
- Bulk Density: 50 lbs./cu. ft
- Hardness: 3.0-3.8 (Mohs scale)
- Effective Size:
#1 Anthracite: 0.6-0.8 mm
#1½ Anthracite: 0.85-0.95 mm
#2 Anthracite: 1.7-2.0 mm
- Uniformity Coefficient:
#1 Anthracite: <1.7
#1½ Anthracite: <1.7
#2 Anthracite: <1.6
- Mesh Size:
#1 Anthracite: 14x30
#1½ Anthracite: 10x20
#2 Anthracite: 4x12
- Acid Solubility: <1%
- Caustic Solubility: <1%
- Apparent Specific Gravity: 1.6 gm/cc
- Meets AWWA Standard B100-01
Conditions For Operation:
- Bed depth: 24-36 in., 10-18 in multibed filters
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Service flow rate: 5 gpm/sq. ft. or higher depending upon local conditions
- Dissolved Oxygen (D.O.) content must be equal to at least 15% of the iron and 29% of the manganese content.
- Backwash flow rate:
#1 Anthracite: 12-18 gpm/sq. ft.
#1½ Anthracite: 18-25 gpm/sq. ft.
#2 Anthracite: use air scour
- Higher service flows and longer filter runs than equivalent sand filters
- Close attention to gradation, hardness and purity assures consistent and reliable performance
- Unique density allows Clack Anthracite to be combined with other filtration media in multi-media filters
- Lower uniformity coefficient has less oversized and undersized particles resulting in a highly uniform bed
An exceptionally state-of-the-art company
No apparent issues after 3 months of good performance. Highly reliable and good efficiency