Clack granular activated carbon is designed for reduction of tastes, odors and dissolved organic chemicals from municipal and industrial water supplies. Manufactured from select grades of bituminous coal to produce a high density, durable granular product capable of withstanding the abrasion and dynamics associated with repeated hydraulic transport, backwashing and mechanical handling. Activation is carefully controlled to produce exceptionally high internal surface area with optimum pore size for the adsorption of a broad range of high and low molecular weight organic contaminants.
One of the most common applications for Clack High Activated Carbon (HAC) is the reduction of the undesirable tastes and odors present in many chlorinated water supplies. HAC has been successful for many years in the reduction of free chlorine from water supplies. The end product is clean, fresh water with no objectionable taste or odor characteristics.
To obtain maximum efficiency of the activated carbon in the adsorption process, it is desirable to have the greatest possible surface area in the smallest practical volume. This is necessary because the rate of adsorption is proportional to the amount of surface area of the adsorbing medium media. HAC has a surface area of 900 square meters per gram. This results in high efficiency and greater system economy. Clack has for many years provided activated carbon to the OEM and replacement market as a pre-treatment for other water purification systems as well as for use in individual treatment equipment for the removal of specific impurities.
HAC requires periodic backwashing to eliminate accumulated suspended matter and to re-grade the filter bed. HAC has replaced when the filter bed loses the capacity for reduction of taste and odor.HAC may be used in either domestic or industrial applications using gravity flowor pressurized filter vessels.
|Part No.||Description||Cu. Ft. /Bag||Wt./Cu. Ft.||Bags/Pallet||Weight/Pallet||Pallet Dimension|
|A8009-12||HAC 12x40 mesh||1||27.5||70||1975 lbs||44" x 40" x 80"|
- Color: Black
- Mesh Size: 12 x 40
- Bulk Density: 28 lbs./cu. ft.
- Effective Size: 0.55-0.75 mm
- Ash Content: Max 4%
- Iodine Number: 1,000 mg/g
- Moisture as packed: Max 5%
- pH 10
Certifications and Approvals:
- NSF/ANSI Standard 61
- AWWA B604-96
Conditions For Operation:
- Water to be filtered should preferably be free of oil and suspended matter
- The water to be filtered should be relatively free of turbidity for maximum service life
- Water pH range: wide range
- Bed depth: 26-30 in.
- Freeboard: 50% of bed depth (min.)
- Empty bed contact time 3 minutes minimum
- Dissolved Oxygen Concentration 4 ppm (mg/L)
- Service flow rate: 5 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash flow rate: 8-10 gpm/sq. ft.
- Backwash bed expansion: 30-40% of bed depth
- Upon installation, backwash to remove carbon fines before placing unit into service
- CAT-HAC is an outstanding coconut shell based material for applications requiring chloramine, hydrogen sulfide and dissolved organic compound reduction. This product can be used for filtering water having a wide range of pH levels.
- Large surface area results in an exceptionally high capacity and efficiency.
- Balanced pore structure gives a more efficient adsorption range.
- CAT-HAC is very durable so losses due to attrition are kept to a minimum.
- CAT-HAC has a very high carbon, low ash content.
- CAT-HAC will impart a high “polish” to the filtered water.
Very grateful for these quality products